Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sports Photography


Above are just a couple of my favorite shots from the Under 18 versus the Minnesota Gophers game that I was privledged to shoot for back in 2005. My photography career was a product of my love of hockey. When my boys started playing in the local youth hockey program, I couldn't resist the urge to capture every game. Pretty soon my passion turned into a business when parents started wanting to purchase the images of their kids from me. Honestly...why not. What a better way to get paid for something you truly enjoy doing. And...I was charging a fraction of the cost of the professionals who were contracted for the tournaments and whose images didn't have half the "heart" behind them.



My challenge to you is this...if you have kids involved in sports, bring your camera and simply take pictures. The odds are in your favor that if you take enough pictures, you'll get some good shots in there somewhere. And...if you simply have no interest in taking pictures yourself, contact me. I still do special occasion games upon request. Getting a team commitment turns a game charge into a very small personal investment. Game shoots normally average $150/2 hours and include up to 50-75 final images. As always, I release all rights to the images and you are free to make copies to distribue to all members of your team. Thus, a $150 charge split amongst a 15 player team is $10/person. Where can you find a deal like that? The professionals contracted to shoot for tournaments are charging up to $20/page for a single image.

Keep shooting...it's worth it when you create memories that last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment